News releases from prior years are also available click on the corrasponding year below:
NEWS RELEASE 2011
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT: Galen Muller (319) 465-5119
Henry Winkler, new selection of show vehicles highlight
O’Reilly Auto Parts Rod & Custom Car Show Feb. 26-27 in Monticello, Iowa
One of the Midwest’s longest running rod and custom car shows returns to Monticello, Iowa, Feb. 26-27, 2011. KCRG-TV9 Presents the 42nd Annual O’Reilly Auto Parts Rod & Custom Car Show features a lineup of impressive show vehicles and an appearance by actor-director-author Henry Winkler, “The Fonz” from the “Happy Days” TV series.
Once again a fresh collection of street rods, custom cars, street machines, race cars, pickup trucks and motorcycles will be competing for Casey’s General Store trophies and Scooters Bar & Grill cash prizes.
The multi-talented Winkler will appear both Saturday (noon-4 p.m., 6-9 p.m.) and Sunday (10 a.m.-2 p.m.) signing autographs for a nominal fee. Besides “Happy Days,” Winkler co-stars in the USA Network series “Royal Pains.” In addition to acting, producing and directing, Winkler is co-author of the popular “Hank Zipzer” children’s books. Winkler will have a selection of vintage photos as well as his children’s books available at the show.
The event has been held annually since 1970 and again, the event will be held at the Monticello Berndes Center, 766 North Maple Street in Monticello, only 35 miles from Cedar Rapids or Dubuque on U.S. Highway 151. Parking is free.
Although the cars are the stars each year, this family event will feature plenty of other attractions.
· Ramo Stott’s historic Plymouth Superbird speedway race car will be on display. Stott, from Keokuk, Iowa, was a frequent ARCA and USAC winning driver.
· The 26th Annual Model Car Contest will feature plenty of trophies and model car kit prizes;
· Caricature artist David Fliss of Flissart Entertainment will be drawing spectator portraits at no charge;
· “Papa Balloon” artist Mark Garvey returns to delight young and old;
· Disc Jockey and Master of Ceremonies Dave Palmer of 3-D Sound Company will keep the show hopping;
· Spectators will vote People’s Choice Awards for cars/pickups, motorcycles and model cars;
· There will be door prizes, including gift cards from O’Reilly Auto Parts, Casey’s General Store and gift certificates from Scooters Bar & Grill.
Show hours are noon to midnight Saturday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Sunday. Admission is $10 for adults, $5 for children 12 and under. Children 12 and under are admitted free with a paid adult. Save $1 off by bringing a can of food to benefit Four Oaks family programs.